Well my friends, it happened…
Winter is indeed here the great City of Columbus.
Freezing temperatures, ice, and snow can make for some long winters when you are home with little ones.
I am a west side mom. I live in the Hilliard area and I have 3 year old twin girls. Trust me I get cabin fever very easily. I need to get out of the house in the doldrums of Ohio winters.
I wanted to share some of my favorite winter indoor play-areas here on the west side. Be sure to check hours of operation with each business before heading out with your little ones.
- This is a great spot to hit up if the kids need to burn off loads of energy. It is located in Hilliard. The facility is massive and has loads of trampolines, an obstacle course, and foam pits for your littles to run. The gym has toddler times: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday from 10am-11am.
- Website: Get Air Columbus
- Address: 3708 Fishinger Blvd, Hilliard, OH 43026
Grandview Heights Public Library
- This library was on my best “Storytimes” in Columbus. The Grandview library is so great in the winter. Attend a storytime event with your little and let them play in the fun kid area. I also bring my girls here in the afternoons just to play. They have a doll house, train table, iPads, felt board, Legos, and of course plenty of books.
- Website: Grandview Heights Public Library
- Address: 1685 W 1st Ave, Columbus, OH 43212
The Church of the Nazarene Play-space aka “The Naz“
- The Naz has one of the best FREE play areas on the west side. The play area is attached to the church’s school. When you enter the building there is a desk to sign-in and to fill out a waiver. The play-area has tunnels, slides, and a rock climbing wall. There is also an area for the crawlers and new walkers with little tykes slides that are in the same room as the big play structure but separated by a half wall. This set up makes it easy to watch the little ones and the big kids at the same time.
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. on Wednesdays; and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Sundays.
- Address: 4770 Hoover Road, Grove City, OH 43123
Anthony Thomas Chocolate Tours
- This is a fun activity to do when it is freezing outside. The tour takes about an hour and you will have a guided tour through the candy facility. There you get to learn about the candy making process and see the product being made from start to finish as you walk above the factory and view the candy below. There is no need for appointments for groups less than 10.
- Tours are Tuesday and Thursdays: 9 a.m.-3 p.m. for the winter months. See website for tour prices.
- Website: Anthony Thomas Chocolate
Tree of Life Play Cafe
- This is a new play cafe in the Hilliard area. It is attached to the Get Air facility. The cafe serves food and wonderful coffee. The first floor is the main dining area and cafe the upstairs has a nice climbing area for children 3 years and older. There is a small section for the crawlers surrounded by sofas for moms to enjoy some coffee. Also a nice size area for older kids with interactive audio visual games. Tree of Life also run package deals with Get Air.
- Website: Tree of Life Play Cafe
- Address: 3708 Fishinger Blvd, Hilliard, OH 43026
Hilliard Recreation Center Open Gym
- Located in the Hilliard Community Center. The tykes time is geared towards ages 1-5. The open gym is $2 a child and they provide fun push toys, bikes, tumbling mats, balls, a basketball hoop and wide open space to run. It’s an easy spot to have fun on a Friday morning.
- Thursday mornings from 9:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Address: 3800 Veterans Memorial Dr, Hilliard, OH 43026
Dublin Recreation Center Open Gym
- Open play in the Dublin Gym B. They spaces is open with toys and age-appropriate equipment for children 6 months-6 years. The cost is $3 and no registration is required. The gym is open Mondays and Fridays. Please see Dublin website for hours after the new year.
- Website: Dublin Recreation Open Gym
- Address: 5600 Post Road, Dublin, OH 43017
- Upstairs in the annex of this coffee shop, is a cute play area. On the wall is a painted mural with different businesses that represent Hilliard such as the library, police station, Ketchum’s Garage and more.
- There are a few tables to allow parents to enjoy their coffee and keep a close eye on the kids.
- Website: Coffee Connections
- Address: 4004 Main Street, Hilliard, OH 43026
Integrity Athletics: Open Gym
- This is such a great way for children burn off energy and explore various gymnastics equipment!
- Preschool Open Gym Times (walking to 5-year-olds): Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. ($5 for enrolled students/$8 for non-enrolled students. If you have multiple children, all additional children after 1 will receive the member rate.
- School Year Open Gym Times (6 to 16-years-old): Fridays from 7:30-9:00 p.m. ($7 for enrolled/$10 for non-enrolled.)
- Website: Integrity Athletics
- Address: 8185 Business Way, Plain City, 43064
Graeter’s Play Area
- The Bethel Road location has a mini indoor playground with an ice cream theme. There are slides, a teeter totter, basketball hoops and more. It’s FREE, but be sure to purchase a scoop of the delicious ice cream. Socks are required.
- Website: Graeter’s
- Address: 2555 Bethel Road, Dublin, 43220
Hope to see you all this winter!
Until Next Time…