One of the easiest ways to tell summer is fast approaching is the sweetness of strawberries! My kids can eat through pints of strawberries like it’s their job! We have an even better time when we go strawberry picking ourselves at one of the U-Pick Farms in the area. This activity is fun for even the littlest ones, even if they only put a few in the bucket! Don’t forget to try one of our contributor’s recipes for Strawberry Cobbler too!
A few tips:
- Make sure to call ahead to confirm that berries are available on the day you are planning to pick. The season usually begins at the end of May and lasts for a few weeks. For 2021, many farms are predicting the strawberries to be ready around Memorial Day!
- In 2021, farms may still have restrictions so it is important to check their websites for guidelines.
- Plan to arrive early because many farms will close the patch mid-day if the fields are over picked.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen and wear boots if the fields are muddy.
- Also, it is a good idea to bring cash with you because some farms don’t accept credit cards.
- You may want to throw wipes in your bag too as the juice gets sticky on hands and faces pretty quickly!
Strawberry Picking Farms around Columbus:
1. Circle S Farms, 9015 London Groveport Rd., southwest of Grove City (614-878-9462, 614-878-7980)
2. Jacquemin Farms, 7437 Hyland Croy Rd., Plain City, Ohio (614-873-5725)
3. Doran’s Farm Market, 5462 Babbitt Rd., southeast of New Albany (614-855-3885)
5. Folck Family Farm, 6843 Rt. 54, southwest of Mechanicsburg (937-828-0233)
6. Hann Farms, 4600 Lockbourne Rd., Obetz (614-491-0812)
7. Mitchell’s Berries, 9331 Mitchell-Dewitt Rd., northeast of Plain City (937-243-0635) A personal favorite. 🙂
8. Yutzy’s Farm Market, 6010 Converse Huff Rd, Plain City (614-873-3815). Check website often for 2021 updates!
9. The Berry Patch, 2451 OH-245W., West Liberty, Ohio 43357