Here at Columbus Mom, we like to put in the hard work, so you don’t have to. And when I heard National Doughnut Day was soon approaching (traditionally celebrated the first Friday of June*), I took one for the team and set out on a mission to find the best doughnut in town. I know, so selfless of me. It turns out, they’re all amazing in their own ways and you pretty much can’t go wrong. Just go get a doughnut! And if you need me, I’ll be on the treadmill.
Here are just a few doughnut destinations and deals around town to help you honor the holiday (be sure to confirm before heading out):
Local Doughnut Shops
• As OSU students can attest, if you need a doughnut fix at any hour of the day, Buckeye Donuts in the campus area is your spot. They’re open 24 hours!
• The North Market is home to Destination Donuts where you’ll find unique flavor offerings like mojito, ginger peach wasabi, lavender, and chocolate ganache Oreo (it’s basically to donuts what Jeni’s is to ice cream). The price point is a little higher than your typical doughnut shop, but they’re large, and oh man, are they tasty.
• The Lil Donut Factory in Hilliard just does doughnuts (and has been known to sell out early, especially on Fridays, it seems. Be sure to check their Facebook page before you go!) but conveniently shares a space with The Coffee Mess, which offers up fresh-roasted coffee and coffee drinks.
• Schneider’s Bakery in Westerville holds a special place in my heart (and no, not just the blockage). Each Valentine’s Day, rather than a dozen roses, my husband brings me a dozen Schneider’s doughnuts – and even drives out at 1 a.m. to get the freshest of the fresh first batch of the day! I love him so much I even share a few with him.
• With offerings like Orange Creamsicle and Lucky Charms, Amy’s Donuts on Georgesville Rd would probably qualify as the most colorful donuts around – with certainly the most eclectic array of toppings (Biscoff crumb!) And if all that weren’t fun enough, Amy’s also hosts field trips throughout the week.
• Many Central Ohioans were already family with Duck Donuts from visits to this Outer Banks fixture, but that didn’t make it any less exciting to get our own first in the Polaris area and then followed by a location in Dublin. I was dubious about just how good they could be. But oh my. SO crazy good – and made to order! They offer fresh vanilla cake donuts all day and you pick your glaze, your topping and your drizzle. Lots of amazing combinations (and plenty of suggestions if you’re indecisive). On June 5, they have left their deal a mystery and haven’t announced what it will be yet on Instagram.
Columbus Donut Week – June 1 – June 7, 2020
Support this week long celebration in various ways. Check out the details here: Columbus Donut Week
See which local donut shops are offering deals: Donut Week Specials
National chain offers for National Donut Day- June 5, 2020
• Krispy Kreme is offering a free doughnut of any variety! One free doughnut per guest. If Krispy Kreme gives away 1 million doughnuts on National Doughnut Day they will offer another doughnut giveaway this month.
• At Dunkin Donuts, you can score a free doughnut (while supplies last and at participating locations) with the purchase of any beverage.
• Every Friday, Giant Eagle sells donuts for $6.00 a dozen. It’s great way to sprinkle kindness onto others by bringing a box of donuts into work!
• At Tim Horton’s, they will be celebrating by introducing a new donut! See the details here.
So what’s your favorite spot? If there’s any place I missed, I’m totally open to suggestions! Add them to the comments and I’d be happy to get started on a follow-up post!
*Turns out, National Doughnut Day has some legit roots. It wasn’t started by a doughnut shop like I would’ve thought, but by The Salvation Army in 1938 to raise funds and also to honor the women who served doughnuts to the troops during World War I.