Try as I might, I am NOT a meal planner. I blame it on life, picky kids and lack of time and creativity. I’m an organized person, a list maker, total Type-A, but this “skill” does not come naturally to me! I am the girl who buys the same things every time I go to the store, I over spend and waste more than I care to admit. I’m also the girl that stands in front of the refrigerator at 5 pm and asks her family “What do you guys feel like eating for dinner tonight?”
I have learned that meal planning, albeit overwhelming and intimidating, will save me time and money! So I’m trying.
Meal Planning Tips (from my expert friends)
- Keep pantry staple ingredients on hand in your kitchen so that you can make a delicious, nutritious meal every night of the week.
- Check your pantry and freezer before you shop, and make a shopping list!
- Write down all seven days including the planned meal and ingredients that need to be purchased.
- Check your calendar before grocery shopping and making the meal plan for the week. Thinking through the week and the commitments / obligations ahead of time helps to determine what we will eat and when. If you have soccer practice on Tuesday night, that’s the night you choose a simple recipe or make something ahead of time.
- Choose recipes that you know you and your family will love! It’s easy to fall down a Pinterest rabbit hole daydreaming of elaborate, seasonally inspired and carefully curated meals. But, remember the reality of your life and the people sitting around your table.
- Be flexible! As long as it doesn’t lead to overspending or wasting ingredients!
- Share your wisdom and easy “go-to” meal ideas with friends like me. =)
- When all else fails, serve “breakfast” for dinner….or there is always take out! 😉What tips do you have to become an expert meal planner? Share them below!